AFNIC 2014 observatory: over 2.7 million domain names ending ".fr"
mer., 19 févr. 2014 16:09:00 +0100
The French Association for Internet Naming and Cooperation (AFNIC) has published, at the start of the year, its 2013 observatory for the domain name market. Below are the key figures:
- In 2013, growth in ".fr" domain names was higher than the average of the global market (8.2% compared with 7.1%).
- The growth in the volume of ".fr" domain names for 2013 is however over twice lower than it was in 2012 (8.2% compared with 15%);
- Domain names ending in .fr are following the global trend of a slowdown in new domain names;
- Domain names ending in .fr have seen an increase in market share by 0.5 points in France (from 36% in 2012 to 36.5% in 2013);
- In 2013, the volume of new .fr domain name registrations undertaken by private individuals is very close to that undertaken by legal entities.
To explain the fall in growth of registrations of ".fr" domain names in 2013, the AFNIC has reiterated that the rate of correlation between new company establishments is historically close to 90%. Registrations, as well as renewals, may have been less numerous due to a lower number of company establishments over the period.